Looking for an international seaside escape? Well, look no further. The island of Capri, Italy has everything you’re looking for and more. Seriously, just look at this.
This beautiful town located in the province of Naples, is known for being a luxurious playground for wealthy travelers. Does that mean the beautiful Island of Capri is unattainable for regular people like me and you. Absolutely, positively NOT! We can bask in the warm sun and frolic in the crystal blue waters too. Capri is perfectly possible for the budget-minded tourist. With a little attention to detail and planning, your Italian seaside getaway can be booked in not time.
First, let’s take a look at what this island has to offer.
Why You Should Choose Capri
- Gorgeous scenery
- Warm weather from mid-to late April through September
- Luxurious surroundings on a budget
- It’s Italy! (Isn’t that enough?)
Things to do
- Spend the day at the beach. After all, it is a seaside vacation. Build sandcastles, splash in the water, and soak in the warm sun.
- Take a boat excursion to get an up-close view of the Faraglioni (the beautiful rock formations). Kids, and adults, will be fascinated by these iconic stones.
- Explore the island. There is more to this tropical oasis than just the sun and water. Although, they are a nice bonus. Find a shady bench surrounded by the beautiful and fragrant flowers that decorate Capri and read a book, or just relax.
- Visit the famous Blue Grotto. A stunning example of nature’s beauty.
- Spend a few hours window shopping and browsing the designer boutiques that line the streets. (Send the kids to have a gelato with Dad, or vice versa.)
- Enjoy a meal at one of the local restaurants. Ask a local for a recommendation. After all, they know best.
- Take a lift, to Capri’s highest point Monte Solaro.
- Stroll along the paths that line the perimeter of the island. The views are breathtaking.
- Spend some time taking pictures. Capri is a destination you’ll want to remember.
This Luxurious Destination on a Budget? Are you Kidding?
Nope. I’m not joking. This gorgeous vacation destination is achievable, even for budget travelers. You just have to remember a few key tips:
- Consider visiting this summer. Inexpensive, or as I like to call them “cheap” flights will be available from select U.S. cities to select destinations in Europe. While they may not be landing directly on the island of Capri (there is not an airport on the island), domestic transportation within Europe is very affordable. So, hop a plane, train, or bus to get to your seaside retreat.
- Use hotel booking sites – Remember to convert the currency when looking at accommodations. You don’t want any surprises when you book your room. Also, be sure to think outside the box – a bed and breakfast or locally owned hotel can be a great bargain. Just be sure to check out the reviews.
- Once you have established a home base for your time in Capri, visit one of the local markets and pick up a few grocery items. Purchase a small cooler, if available, to keep sandwich items cool. This can save you quite a bit of money. Eating out gets expensive anywhere!
Have you been to Capri? Planning to go? I would love to hear from you!
If you love Italy be sure to check out my post The Perfect Spot for a Weekend in Italy
Be sure to subscribe to my blog so you don’t miss any of the action.